Upcoming Events

The FUmanoids in Iran!

All humanoids (both in flesh and steel) arrived safe and sound and were welcomed warmly by the hosts of the Iran Open RoboCup 2015.
We are all excited and hope that you are, too!
We will keep you up to date about the competition, stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed!

FUmanoids im Iran

Professor of the Year

The FUmanoids’ head coach, Prof. Raúl Rojas, has been named “University Professor of the Year” by the German Association of University Professors and Lecturers (DHV). We are very happy for this well-deserved award. Below is a short video (in German) that has been made for the award ceremony.


Steve watched the eclipse today.
Here is a picture of him with his cool protective glasses:steveSonnenfinsternis

Merry Christmas!

Team FUmanoids had a very successful year. We are now enjoying the last days till the new year.
We would like to say thank you to everyone involved in or supporting the project in any way:

THANK YOU, you are the best!

There are many plans for the upcoming year (including winning the RoboCup :-)) so please keep your fingers crossed.

Here’s a picture from our christmas party:FUmanoidsWeihnachten

Maintaining balance

As simple as it sounds, a very essential ability of humanoid robots is “not falling over”.

You can achieve this by arbitrarily complicated measures. In our case we focus on the more complicated ways (of course). We have developed an inverse kinematics solver using the concept of “damped least squares” which generates nice jacobian matrices which we use to perform gradient descents. With this fancy method we can give the robot certain tasks which it tries to execute. In the video you can see how the robot moves its center of mass towards a defined position above the left foot (it even uses the arms to raise the COM). And as a second task the robot shortens its right leg. The second task clearly interferes with the first but the robot can still fulfill both.
As another measure we have weighted the tasks toward the “hold your balance” task. It is obviously more important to “not fall over”…

FUmanoids vs Hamburg Bit-Bots : Live at the Long Night of Sciences

Tomorrow is the Long Night of Sciences in Berlin, and the FUmanoids can be seen as well. You can visit us in room 005 in Takustraße 9 from 5pm to midnight.


  • Live friendly games with the Hamburg Bit-Bots
  • Explanations and information on RoboCup and our robots (hard- and software)
  • Demonstration of our robots’ capabilities
  • videos of competition games

You can also talk to team members for your questions (you can recognize us by our shirts with the FUmanoid logo on the back).

Videos of the games

We have uploaded or linked videos from most of our games at RoboCup German Open 2014 and RoboCup Iran Open 2014:

RoboCup Iran Open 2014 (Teheran, Iran)

Level Opponent Score
Final Baset 4:0 Video
Semi Final Bold Hearts 1:0 (0:0) Video
Preliminaries pUNAMoids 5:0
Preliminaries MRL 5:0 Video
Preliminaries Parand 3:0 (2:0)

RoboCup German Open 2014 (Magdeburg)

Level Opponent Score
Final Bold Hearts 2:1 (1:1) Video
Semi Final WF Wolves 3:1 (2:1)
Round Robin Bold Hearts 3:1 (2:0) Video
Round Robin WF Wolves 5:0
Round Robin Hamburg Bit-Bots 1:1 (0:0) Video

For example the video of the German Open final:


Our robots proved themselves as goalie during April’s tournaments. Though they triggered a bit prematurely in the first games (better too early than too late :-)), we fixed this and in the later games the goalie reliably caught all shots on our goal. Here’s a small montage:


After the finals at RoboCup Iran Open 2014, we were asked whether we wanted to play a friendly match against the winning team from the SPL (MRL).

So we went over to the SPL field and started our preparations. Because we played on their field with slightly different lighting, different goals and with a much smaller ball, we had to adjust our software and vision calibration quickly.

As we also did not use the same game controller protocol as the SPL, we also tried to set up our own including own WiFi network. After initial cross-disturbances between the two networks were resolved, we still had no working connection. As in the meantime quite a large audience had assembled, we decided to play without network and manual start. This limited us to two robots (without network the team play does not work) and MRL kindly agreed to also limit their team.

The game itself was fun, though we were hardly in ball possession and definitely did not show our best game play. At the end we lost 1:2 (with all goals scored by MRL), but if it weren’t for our goal keeper Grace it could have been much worse. Now if she just would have been able to stand up properly :-( Emmy as striker also had major problems. Two weeks of competition put some strain on our robots, and we did not have the time (and energy) to fix all the hardware issues prior to this game. We temporarily put in John for Emmy, but this was even worse (see minute 7 in the video).

Below are a couple of shots of our goal keeper and the video of the half-time we played. 

Iran Open – The Games

Due to some intermittent internet outages and generally being quite busy preparing the robots for the games, we unfortunately did not add any information about the actual competition days at Iran Open in a timely manner. However, if you followed us on Facebook (no Facebook account required), you already know how it end. In this post we want to quickly give an overview of the games and results in Iran Open 2014.

Continue reading Iran Open — The Games